Real World Case Studies


How Can We Help You?  Here are some Case Study Facts:

In 2014 a Professional office called and reported their web server had been breached and [they] didn't know how to solve the problem. We Responded in the appropriate manner by first, securing all log files, then carefully secured the hard drives, replacing them with new ones. We re-installed a new server system and re-built the data. Once the new server was operational, we took safeguards by implementing security devices such as firewalls.

Case Study Facts

                    The Challenge                                   The Solution
In 2015 a client was parking an Email server in a shared collocation space at a nearby data center.  The data center did not provide any type of network security, including any firewalls.  Our client had installed an out-of-the-box copy of Linux that wasn't properly secured.  A month after installation, the Linux server became vulnerable to attacks whereas the server would continue to crash.  The client came to us asking for a solution. When we were first introduced to our client, they had explained a member of their company had downloaded an insecure copy of Linux and installed it on a server.  We looked at the installation to find an insecure file-system, insecure passwords and insecure login authentication.  The system was being crashed through a well known online exploit.  We explained to the [client] that the insecure installation was to blame and not the operating system.  In brief, we re-installed the Linux System with a commercial grade of Linux, using CentOS and a properly secured filesystem.  Since the installation, all systems have been operating in a normal manner.
The Challenge The Solution  
In 2015 a well known business had built an inhouse
email system. The system ran a variant of Microsoft
Windows and used the ISS software suite for Exchange
Server.  The system had been performing well until the system suffered a hard power shutdown as a result of a power outage.  The system was not equipped with a UPS supply backup.  When the server was turned [back] on, although the operating system was functional, the email software wasn't.  As it happens, the NTFS based Windows filesystem doesn't handle hard stops very well and become corrupt.  This would have meant a fresh installation of the operating system as well as downtime for the company
It didn't take long to realize the server would require a re-build and either way, it was going to cost the company money to fix this problem.  In short, we decided on a more robust solution that included a FreeBSD Server running Dual RAID Array Drives, MTA Mail Software, Postfix along with a redundant power management system. 

We Installed FreeBSD OS along with the Postfix Software.  Later installed an APC Power Management System with off-site data backup.




The Challenge The Solution  
In 2014 an organization came calling that had an impending security breach on their hands, namely; The organization's Web Server had been hacked and most, if not all the files had become corrupt or were missing.  The Web Server was running a variant of Linux with an unpatched, insecure Apache Server.  The organization was a law firm and it was imperative that they have the problem solved as quickly as possible.  The server had been installed by somebody working from a manual, instead of somebody who had worked in the industry.  Most components of the server, as well as the network, were found to be extremely insecure, including the WiFi router that connects to the members wireless devices.  All devices were on the same network. We realized immediately that this security breach was much more than it first would have appeared.  There was evidence that the attackers tried to breach the firewall and left a finger-print in the firewall and server logs, complete with a matching IP address.  We had no choice but to remove the hard-drive(s) as evidence, as this was a sophisticated attack that would need to be investigated.  We replaced the old hard-drives with new ones, then moved to reconstruct as much data as possible, from the old drives.  After a period of about a day, we had most components of the server back up and running, along with a new Cisco firewall, and the FreeBSD Operating System that included an enhanced File System that would prove difficult to hack into.